Thursday, November 19, 2015

Crystal Habit



Crystal habit is what scientists call the uniqueness of the crystal structure of every mineral.  Certain minerals, such as table salt and epsom salt, have distinctive habits in the way their crystals grow.

My mom and I did an experiment to see how the crystal habits of the two different kinds of salts differed. We simply mixed teaspoons of salt in water and waited for the water to evaporate completely - that took weeks!


Table salt has crystal habits that are cube-shaped and they look a bit like little glass boxes. Quite pretty!


The habit of epsom salt grows in long, needle like crystals that can sometimes look like snow flakes.

I really enjoyed looking at the crystals through my jeweller's loop.  So did my mom!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting the difference. Thank You . Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete