Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My First Turkey


 My family and I served a free Thanksgiving dinner with our church to the people in need from our community. Some volunteers would make turkeys, stuffing, gravy, vegetables, etc. Other volunteers would serve the people, set the tables, and slice the pies and meat. Everyone worked together helping people who needed it, I loved it! I hope I can do it again next year!



My dad and I consulted the tested-and-approved recipe of chef Gordon Ramsey.  (Our turkey recipe from last year was the same one as this.)  We stuffed the turkey cavity with lemons and onions.  The best part was slathering the turkey with herb butter, under the skin, on the outside and even a little in the cavity.


We drizzle the turkey with a little olive oil to keep the butter from burning then popped it in the oven.  The glorious smell that drifted through the house was enough to drift me out the window.


We took the turkey out from the oven and covered it with a few thick slices of bacon. Because the recipe said so, and, (obviously) everything is better with bacon.


With our first turkey made just by me and dad beautifully browned, it took extreme effort from us not to ask my mom for two forks and just start eating...


At last, with the turkey carved and on the platter, we headed out the door. Serving the food was an incredible experience. I served cranberry sauce and rolls in the first round.  Then at seconds I was elevated to mashed potatoes, discovering that I had a knack with the "ice-cream" scooper.  All in all, this Thanksgiving was a rewarding experience and incredibly fun! 

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job. Looks yummy. We are very proud of you.!!!
    Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete