Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Poet of the People: Pablo Neruda


The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan

The Dreamer is a biographical fiction about a boy named Neftali who loves to dream, collect things, and write, and hopes to become a poet one day. Neftali Reyes is a famous Chilean poet who goes by the pen name of Pablo Neruda. He wrote under his pen name because his Father disapproved of Neftali's career as a poet.
I relate to Neftali in the story because I like to collect things and daydream too! Both me and Neftali love the forest and nature around us. The story is full of imagination and poetry which I love: the imagery of the full forest, the shiny beetle, the Chucao bird, the swans in the lagoon, the rolling ocean, the acorn, the feather, the yellow sheep... The story is sprinkled with beautiful daydreamy poems like this one:

"Is fire born of words? 
Or are words born of fire?"

I find the pointillism illustrations by Peter Sis very unique and symbolic to the story. My favourite part of the story is when Neftali finally gains the courage inside to realize that his Father is wrong - he is not "absent-minded" and not going to "amount to nothing".

This is the second book I've read by Pam Munoz Ryan after Riding Freedom. I'm looking forward to reading another book by the same author, Paint the Wind.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was very interesting. Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete