Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Behold! A Real Placenta

Warning: This blog post is high on the eeeww factor, so stop reading now if you're about to eat.

You may have noticed that Serena has been doing her own blog posts lately. Now that she's at double-digit age, she's starting to take ownership of her blog. However this particular post is quite unusual. I figured it's best that mom writes this one, since we're talking about MY placenta afterall...

Just over 10 years ago, with hubby, midwife and doula in attendance, I gave birth at home to a little swinging monkey. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the kind doula has "saved" my placenta in a ziplog bag in the freezer. I had no idea what to do with such an odd frozen item, so I did nothing. For 10 years.

The best part about homeschooling is that literally everything can be a teaching tool and a learning moment. Since Serena started asking questions recently about puberty and babies, why not defrost a placenta for a little show & tell?? Brilliant idea!

A few BrainPOP videos gave us a good introduction on reproductive organs and fetal development, but nothing beats seeing the real thing! I have to admit, while it was thoroughly disgusting to be handling my bloody goopy placenta, it was really cool for Serena to see the sac where she resided for 9 months. And how many people can say they have seen & touched their own umbilical cord??



Here's Serena's comment about this whole traumatic experience:
"It is very gross. But also very interesting besides the blood dripping from it... I read that some people actually dehydrate and eat their own placenta because it's supposed to be good for you. YUCK!!! It's really neat to be able to touch my own umbilical cord. I also have a thought once I learned that your belly button is the remains of your umbilical cord: Adam & Eve must have no belly buttons!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Great learning tool .But ough!!!
    Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete