Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Musical Weekend


Last year I joined a homeschool band taught by Ms. Brenda Khoo. The band practices every Monday and it is a beginners band. Most musicians in the band have just started learning their instruments, but I've been playing my flute for 2 years now. Flute is a very tricky instrument - 3 people who started with flute found it too hard so they switched instruments, leaving only me and Julie as the 2 remaining flutists! At our year-end concert, we played with the adult band and the Brass, Wind & Wire band. It was a grand spectacle, there's even a tuba!


After performing at an amateur concert, I went to a performance by the professional VSO - "Holst's The Planets". The concert featured a flute soloist and the Elektra Women's Choir. Gustav Holst wrote a series of music based on the Solar System in his time. The music really describes each planet, e.g. "Mercury, the Winged Messenger" was fast and light; "Mars, the Bringer of War" was dramatic, dark, and loud; "Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age" was slow and gave you the feeling when you've climbed too many sets of stairs!

I met a friend, Malka, in our homeschool band. She plays percussion. I found out that she was performing in a production of "Singin' in the Rain"! So I went to watch the show which was performed by kids 14 and under.  A very talented 11-year old played Cosmo Brown, a very funny character who sings and dances in one of the lead roles. I enjoyed how they used lots of tap dancing and real umbrellas in the production! It's also fun to spot Malka in the ensemble!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you .To stick with your flute even if it very hard!!!
    Sounds like you had fun. Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete