Monday, October 1, 2012

Burns Bog

Pileated Woodpeckers
By Serena
{Inspiration: "On The Wing" - bird poems and paintings by Douglas Florian}

Look at my amazing crest,
Good enough to invite a guest!
My colour is absolutely the best
When it comes to my flaming red crest.

A snack of carpenter ants is just fine
When it comes to the time to dine.
I'm the biggest, I'm omnivores,
No doubt I am the prettiest!



These 2 pileated woodpeckers were definitely the highlight of our two & a half hour hike around Burns Bog yesterday. Pileated woodpeckers are the largest of its kind in North America. Serena was quick to inform me that the smallest is the Downy woodpecker. Don't know how she comes up with these things...

Other spectacles:

Lots of bees buzzing in and out of these beautiful bog orchids;


Dainty little dragonflies flitting around;


and a fierce BOG MONSTER!!!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice including the bog monster it is so cute!!!!
    Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete