Thursday, April 12, 2012

Math Atheist


Headline: "Disaster: Devout Math Evangelist Gave Birth to Math Atheist"
That would be me and my child.

Thanks to Pi Day and the Sir Cumference series by Cindy Neuschwander, I saw glimmers of hope on the horizon. Serena discovered a new toy - the protractor - and has been seen measuring "angles" around the house. I took advantage of her new found interest in Geometry and temporarily abandoned the much despised Arithmetic. She thought that hendecagons and dodecagons sound hilarious and acute angles are so cute; she squishes herself and claims that she's trapped by the trapezoid. I always know she's enjoying herself when she starts making up jokes:

"Mommy, what do Protractors sing in heaven?"
"ANGLES we have heard on high, sweetly singing o'er the PLANES..."
And then she laughs herself silly.

I still have hope to convert her one day...

Related Resources:
Sir Cumference and the First Round Table by Cindy Neuschwander
Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland by Cindy Neuschwander
Shape Up: Fun with Triangles and Other Polygons by David A. Adler
Fractions, Decimals, and Percents by David A. Adler
DVD Geometry: Triangle and Other Polygons (Schlessinger Media)
DVD Geometry (Stone House Productions)

4 comments:

  1. why were you doing algebra ... good job Serena on your geometry. Sounds like you are having lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooops, did I say algebra? I meant arithmetic... Are they not the same thing? :p

      Delete
  2. makes more sense ... I was beginning to think J was really behind because we're not doing algebra :) Glad she's enjoying math though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it fun at all times
    It works so much better
    Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete