Friday, March 2, 2012

Good Reads

It gets harder and harder to find books for Serena who wants not only an elaborate story line typical of a novel but also beautiful illustration typical of a board book. We were glad to have found the Usborne Illustrated Classics for Girls and Usborne Illustrated Alice at a homeschool fair couple of years ago. It's perfect for kids who want to move on with their reading but can't quite transition to books with no pictures yet.

Recently I saw a couple Usborne books in the same series in two different bookstores within the same week. What are the chances! I snapped them up since they're so hard to find. Serena absolutely adores them and is breezing through the stories. It's hard to get her to pace herself; I understand what it's like to lose yourself in a book!

I think Serena finished this 300+ pages book in 3 sittings. She said it's hard to pick a favourite, but she finds "The 39 Steps" the most adventurous with its "bad guy imposters".

The collections include five classics: "The Count of Monte Cristo", "The Prisoner of Zenda", "The Three Musketeers", "The 39 Steps", and "Don Quixote".
Serena got interested in Shakespeare when we were in Verona, Italy few years ago where we visited Casa di Giulietta and stood at the famous balcony (supposedly) from the love scene in Romeo and Juliet

Six Shakespeare's plays are included: "Twelfth Night", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", "Hamlet", "Macbeth", "Romeo and Juliet", and "The Tempest".

If only I could find these in the library!

4 comments:

  1. I know a really good Usborne rep so if you are searching for any titles, let me know and I'll pass it on. She is AMAZING at finding the perfect books for each kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stories.They were great
    Glad she is enjoying reading.
    Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you love Usborne. I love the books too. You can get them online if you are having a hard time finding them. I am a consultant and will send you a link if you want one. Let me know. my email address is pettiskim@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Usborne books too!! It's our favorite!! Thanks for recommending these 2. We don't have them in Hong Kong yet, but I'm sure to get a copy from BookDepository or else where.

    ReplyDelete